Scrum Testing Best Practices
With scrum software tester need to be more test analyst at the beginning to know about what products it is, technology involved in it and what are main business component those going to delivered sprint by sprint. But on his aim of testing he need to analyze what are possible test automation tools need to adopt & where he report the issues, what are the possible test cases he can generate and how many of then can be automated for regressions test and when possibly he can start automation test..
Tester mission in scrum:
- Get involved from day one & listen : when product idea come on white board and scrum master, product owner, designer, developer ( architecture board ) discussing about it.
- Always be a part of planning meeting for the on going current sprint : Aim is provide the estimation with test related activities ( test case, understanding the acceptance test criteria / framework planned to use for test automation / acceptance test environment setup ).
- Be a part of planning meeting for the next sprint : Tester need to update the any major improvement with test automation framework before starting new sprint.
- Writing the acceptance criteria for each item for next sprint. Tester use the user stories and helping the product owner by suggesting QA about test standards, user experience, performance issue and setting up the base life for accepting testing. Also make aware to development team if something they need to consider or need technical help for tester.
- Upgrading accepting criteria and maintaining the test cases : Once tester receive feedback from product owner he need to upgrade the test cases.
- Automate the API testing for current sprint - If the application use the API then code ideas is automate the API to cover the UI / Acceptance testing.
- Execute acceptance test in manual way with current sprint - When sprint is new there is nothing much to automate and later at some stage many things we not able automated, so do manual testing.
- Automate the smoke test ( UI / Regression ) with previous sprints - Constantly automate the old sprints to keep base line.
- Exploratory testing - Keep breaking the system and try to find the undiscovered bugs.
- Be part of retrospective meeting - You can review on going testing progress and covered area and major achievements done & drawbacks noticed.
In scrum tester become one of the close member of scrum team and help to achieve product owner goal using acceptance criteria.